Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mussoorie

After an evening with new friends in Dehra Dun and a great time w/

Mohan and his motorbike (don't worry Mom), I ascended into the

Himalayan foothills to the hill station established by the

"Britishers," as they are called here, Mussoorie at 6000 ft. Though

the view of the snow capped Himalayas was obscured by clouds and smog

(amen for development and its discontents) an even greater surprise

revealed itself. Descending from a peak in a cable car Iconsulted a

map, trying to find that not so touristy gem that always makes a

backpacker's motor purr. To the "Buddha Temple" it was, after finally

getting the best of a rickshaw driver in price negotiations I walked

to the secluded temple. Once on the grounds I noticed that there was

also a school for young Tibetan refugees. On the peak above were

floating what seemed like a wall of prayer flags. Up at the raised

"pulpit" at the peak I met Akhil, a teacher at the school. He

explained the prayer flags to me and told me of his work and of the

school, his affection for these hills where he too had done his

studies. After some reflection time and second thoughts about leaving

that place for my next destination Akhil and I said "goodnight" and

not good bye, I like his style.

Here is the kicker, Akhil gave me his contact information, and once

back in town, after a free ride from local man, I called Akhil up with

a few more questions. The school was established in 1962 and is

funded by the Indian Gov't and recognized by the Tibetan Gov't in

exile in Dharmasala, India. Though they can't take direct donations

they would welcome volunteers and Akhil said that one could teach with

a B.A./B.S. The school year is from March to Dec. so any of you out

there that would like to spend time at a Himalayan hill station as a

teacher in a Tibetan school over looking

the green happy valley with its batheable waterfalls and snowpeaked

views, just let me know...that is if I dont take the position first...

Well i am off to Kerala at the southern tip of India in an hour. I

first heard of the state in my Developing World courses as an example

of successful social development before economic development, the only

place (in the world? or maybe just in India) with a long running

elected communist party in power, yep, I'm going pink...

cwt

PS: I think my pictures on Flickr got hacked so there is a guy with a

gun, this is not my picture!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home